[SLUG] Wake on Lan

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 11:44:31 GMT 2007

Mike Bennett wrote:
> Internally, this doesn't matter, as the packet is just broadcast to
> all available devices. To do this externally, you need to have a
> router that is capable of passing a WoL packet to the internal
> network.

I tried and failed to get this working with my netgear DG834G - there
were people out there purporting to have created firmware patches but I
didn't want WOL so desperately as to compromise my entire network.

To elaborate a tiny bit on what Mike says, to help with your internet
searches, passing a WOL packet to the internal network is known as
"broadcasting". With NAT routers which I have come across you need to
setup firewall rules to pass packets to a specific IP address (e.g.
192.168.0.2) - it is not possible to use a broadcast address (e.g.
192.168.0.255).

Good luck,

Steve O