[SLUG] Wake on Lan

Mike Bennett mikeyben at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 13:07:12 GMT 2007

On 2/26/07, Stephen O'Neill <soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Mike Bennett wrote:
> > These machines even
> > have WoL specifically disabled so that they don't even use the standby
> > power of having the NIC waiting for a WoL packet.
>
> I welcome your thoroughness - I would be interested to know whether this
> has an impact though given that power is still going to the board -
> maybe if it's a switch on the board it would not take the power.
>
> Steve O

I would assume it does, as it stops the WoL standby LED staying on.
Most of the time my other PCs are unplugged or turned off at the wall
socket anyway. The only one that isn't is the one running off the same
trailbar as the fileserver, as I can't get behind it to plug/unplug
easily and I obviously can't turn it off at the wall without also
killing my fileserver.

I have just invested in a new router, a Draytek Vigor 2800 and I
believe it supports WoL properly so hopefully in the near future my
fileserver will be off when I'm not using it anyway.