[SLUG] Wake on Lan

Fintan Gaughan fgaughan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 13:32:59 GMT 2007

On 26/02/07, Mike Bennett <mikeyben at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Fin,
>
> Check out http://xlife.zuavra.net/index.php/60/ for a useful guide on
> doing WoL remotely. It's a bit more complicated than it seems as
> obviosuly a turned off computer has no associated IP address.
>
> Internally, this doesn't matter, as the packet is just broadcast to
> all available devices. To do this externally, you need to have a
> router that is capable of passing a WoL packet to the internal
> network.
>
> That guide is fairly comprehensive though.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike
> (Now living in Derby!)

Thanks, interesting blog learnt a lot from that.
Seem a lot of faf when I could easily text the wife to turn it on when
she is at home :-)

reading the rest of the thread I suspect its my router that might have
summat to do with it also could be the firewall at work blocking the
outgoing ports

Not giving up though!!

Fintan

--