[SLUG] Backup

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 12:56:24 GMT 2007

> john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>> Does anyone want to recommend some simple backup software .. I don't
>> need network backup.
>
> I use DAR (http://dar.linux.free.fr/) because it supports
> incremental/differential backup strategies.
>
> My automated scripts use SARAB (http://sarab.sourceforge.net/) and
> when
> I want a GUI I use KDAR (http://kdar.sourceforge.net/).
>
> Steve O

So having upgraded my whole installation to get a possibility of DAR
working, I'm currently at the point where:

1) I want a system that backs up to DVD
2) DAR seems not to interface with the DVD drive at all. I'm expecting
to be able to point DAR to, for instance, /mnt/CD, but having put a
DVD disc in the drive, and seen it pop up on the desktop, I can't for
the life of me work out where it's mounted .. any clues?
3) Online tutorials seem to suggest that DAR will happily create the
split backup files that you can burn to DVD later. Nope, I want it
burned to DVD while I do nothing but change discs every now and then.
4) Online resources suggest DAR is something that will max my CPU and
render my PC useless while operating. You may have read my previous
posts about that. I'd rather not. Do we know a way to control that?

Anyone got any pointers for me?

Oh, and happy new year :-)