[SLUG] Backup

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 19:03:04 GMT 2007

> 1) I want a system that backs up to DVD

You and your bloody backups ;)

> 2) DAR seems not to interface with the DVD drive at all.

Does this surprise you? You need clever things like mkisofs and cdrecord to write to dvds... or use something cleverer than DAR to write it on the fly?

I would expect you would have to write the iso to somewhere like /tmp - so requiring a DVD of space on /tmp and then write that iso before deleting. But anyway...

> I'm expecting
> to be able to point DAR to, for instance, /mnt/CD, but having put a
> DVD disc in the drive, and seen it pop up on the desktop, I can't for
> the life of me work out where it's mounted .. any clues?

Erm, does "mount" give you any clues?

> 3) Online tutorials seem to suggest that DAR will happily create the
> split backup files that you can burn to DVD later. Nope, I want it
> burned to DVD while I do nothing but change discs every now and then.

You're going to have to wrap up the DVD writing bit using a bit of shell scripting then, or either that DAR isn't for you.

> 4) Online resources suggest DAR is something that will max my CPU and
> render my PC useless while operating. You may have read my previous
> posts about that. I'd rather not. Do we know a way to control that?

This all depends on a number of things. Clearly your hard disk is going to be busy - I presume you've accepted that fact? As for the CPU thingy then it depends a bit on what type of backup you're doing - if incremental/diff then I'm not sure what its diff algorithm is, I'm not sure about that. Then you have a couple of other options - you can compress the files and also encrypt them. If you choose to do neither of these and just store the files then cpu usage shouldn't be too bad. These options are the dar options file.

Hope that helps.

Steve O