[SLUG] Backup

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 10:44:14 GMT 2007

> john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>> I'm currently just trying to establish a monthly dump of my home
>> directory to DVD.
>
> Use of the word "just" totally betrays your frustration.

I feel I'm among friends.

> Can I ask why the insistence on DVD - is it so you can put it
> somewhere
> else and so avoid the risk of your pc dying in a fire/someone stealing
> it? I'm just thinking that this will also be slower than using say an
> extra IDE drive with bonus ext2 native support or a NAS box in your
> basement?

Well yes. I have DVDs and I have a DVD drive, and I have a system set
up whereby I post them off to my mum and she's used to cutting up the
old ones and so on, so, habit partly, but also housefire, theft, etc.

If we're talking external hard drive then a) all my USB ports are
used, although easily swappable it means I have to scramble under the
desk which isn't very dignified, b) I haven't got a hard drive, so I'd
have to buy one, and I don't want to do that if I've already got the
means to back up.

As for NAS, I'm thinking writing a DVD would be simpler. I still send
files to myself via email from my Windows box as I've tried but failed
to get them to share their discs with each other, so maybe I'll have
another go when I reach that part of the LPI course, but until then ..
sounds complicated. And I haven't got a PC in the basement.

Is this about DVD being a problem format?