[SLUG] Backup

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 14:33:06 GMT 2007

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>> OK, here's the goal.
>
> As a web developer, huge amounts of my work go straight to a web
> server somewhere else, so I'm not hugely fussed by daily backups, so
> I'm currently just trying to establish a monthly dump of my home
> directory to DVD.
>
> It will span many DVDs, so what I really want to do is press a button,
> put in a DVD, and then get prompted to swap DVDs until I'm done.
>
> Ideally, since that will take a while, I assume, and I'll have to
> stick around to swap discs, I'd like the system to be usable while
> that's happening. But that's a nice to have. So long as it doesn't
> take, say, more than half an hour, I could find something interesting
> to read.
>
> However, once that's done, if it's easy, a differential weekly backup
> would be a nice thing to progress to.

Thanks, John, that's really clear and appreciated.  I don't at present
have any straightforward answers, using any OS, for that little lot.

However, in mid Feb, I've arranged a week's placement with the IT
department of the Royal London and St Bartholomew's Health Trust - a
huge hospital complex over several sites - which I'm looking forward to
a lot.  I want to find out about systems and networks much larger than
the one's I maintain.  I'll pick their brains, and if I come across
anything, will let you know.

In addition, I'll ask the Diocese of London's IT department, and see if
they have any ideas (they usually don't [he said, helpfully]).

Martin