[SLUG] LAN

Ross Kendall ross at rosskendall.com
Fri Jul 13 10:10:49 BST 2007

Hi Roy,

I agree with Steve, trying something non-standard like USB networking on
Linux is just asking for headaches.  Stick with Ethernet networking.

My recommendation would be to get Ethernet network cards for both
computers, and also an ADSL broadband router that has multiple Ethernet
ports.

For an affordable ADSL router the SpeedTouch 546 or similar:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Specifications.asp?ProductID=3795

If you are really penny pinching, you could get a network card just for
the linux machine, and a slightly cheaper ADSL router that has 1
Ethernet and 1 USB port - such as the SpeedTouch 536
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3459

Get a good brand network card such as Intel or 3Com.

Hope that helps.
Ross.
http://rosskendall.com