[SLUG] Backup

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Sun Mar 4 20:37:22 GMT 2007

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>> I'm reading back through all the postings called "Backup", and I can't
>> actually see exactly what it is you are trying to do.
>
> OK, here's the goal.
>
> As a web developer, huge amounts of my work go straight to a web
> server somewhere else, so I'm not hugely fussed by daily backups, so
> I'm currently just trying to establish a monthly dump of my home
> directory to DVD.
>
> It will span many DVDs, so what I really want to do is press a button,
> put in a DVD, and then get prompted to swap DVDs until I'm done.
>
> Ideally, since that will take a while, I assume, and I'll have to
> stick around to swap discs, I'd like the system to be usable while
> that's happening. But that's a nice to have. So long as it doesn't
> take, say, more than half an hour, I could find something interesting
> to read.
>
> However, once that's done, if it's easy, a differential weekly backup
> would be a nice thing to progress to.
>
> And if I can manage that, I may well back up my whole system at least
> once a blue moon.

"KDar (KDE Disk Archiver) -- A very nice KDE backup program. Has a good
interface that's fairly easy to use. One advantage is that it can create
split backups, such as a backup that spans multiple Zip disks. Depends
on the user having the "dar" package installed."

from:
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2280165098.html

Dunno.  Might help.
Martin