[SLUG] Initial thoughts on screen capture from Windows app

John Allsopp john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sun Nov 25 22:39:58 GMT 2007

Chris More wrote:
> John Allsopp wrote:
>
>>> Can this be done in Windows, or would I actually be better running it
>>> in Linux (my preference, obviously). So in Linux if I run whatever
>>> the mock Windows app is called, would I be able to grab a screenshot?
>>> And how would I do that in Linux?
>>>
>>> Just outline thoughts atm, I just wondered what's out there.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>

>> Is that it then, does this list no longer function like this? Or does
>> no-one know how to do it? Or do I smell?

> Windows - Smartision screencopy does the trick.  Here is a desktop
> capture of my little webserver updated every 60 seconds and resized to
> 640x480.
>
> http://notxats.yi.org/desktop.jpg
>
> Chris

Y'see, we can do this when we try :-)

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Weird we know more ways to do this in Windows than in Linux. I know
nothing about X, if that's anywhere close to the right place to be
thinking of, but I'd have thought how to get at the screen model would
be transparent to someone who does, but hey.