[SLUG] Crap java question

John Allsopp john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 10:47:19 BST 2007

Hi

I'm trying to install a java program (optilink
http://www.windrosesoftware.com/optitools/download.html ), and I've got
to the bit where I go

./jinstall.bin

and it says:

Preparing wizard...
Searching for JVM...
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.2 20070626 (Red Hat 4.1.2-13)

Unable to find JRE 1.4.1 on your system.

Now, it's all a bit weird. I'm running Fedora something or other, I
thought 5 but it appears 6 has been around for a while so maybe I'm
running that (how do I tell?) I run the updates every time I reboot, anyway.

If I type java at the console I get taken to, is it gij?

Yet if I run a program I wrote yonks ago: java myprogram, it works fine.

I tried it before 'installing the latest java' as suggested, and I did
that too, made no difference.

So I've no clue what's going on.

Any ideas?

Cheers