[SLUG] Re: Scarborough Digest, Vol 191, Issue 5

John Allsopp john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 07:13:17 BST 2007

That's fantastic to hear.

Isn't the school thing weird? AFAIK, there's a long history of schools
teaching non-standard software because they didn't have the money to buy
what industry and business used, and possibly also because they simply
wanted to buy software just good enough to teach the module without
getting overcomplicated. I can't think of a real example of that, but
I've got that impression from somewhere. You wouldn't find AutoCAD in a
school, I don't think. The BBC, perhaps. And Gem instead of Windows.

So when kids were being taught on a BBC, schools would presumably have
had an argument against the people who wanted them taught on standard PCs.

And then he realises: the argument's the same argument. No-one in the
school knows how to use the alternative so they can't change. There's no
point putting in resources to bring someone in a school up to speed on
Linux when every parent would have to ask 'why?'

All of the preceeding barring the first line is written from a position
of ignorance, but I did want to respond nicely. For a minute there, I
thought we'd converted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak