[SLUG] Contact details

David Knight pandmscardk at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 1 13:27:56 BST 2008

Andy Copland wrote:
> I lived in Guildford for a while and went along to some of the
> meetings there - it was interesting. It was quite a strong group of
> people - but it still had falling attendances.
>
> I think it comes down to visibility. Why don't we have a Scarborough
> lug on facebook? god knows it is easier to organise meetings and put
> messages out :-)
>
> John - you are a bit of a facebook guru (don't be shy) what do you think?
>
> Andy
>
> 2008/8/1 John Allsopp <john at johnallsopp.co.uk
> <mailto:john at johnallsopp.co.uk>>
>

>         I'm not sure where the social element of LUG meetings will go
>         - across
>         the country they sound like they only succeed in some pockets.
>

>     So where's this feeling that LUGs are becoming less popular coming
>     from. Al, you said it (first). What are the experiences of other
>     LUGs, are they dropping off too?

Excuse a moment of reminiscing but there is a point coming up...I'm also
exhausted at the moment so this may not make much sense!

I used to be a member of my local computer club back in the late
80's/early 90's when the 386 was blisteringly quick and the Acorn
Archimedes was the new kid in town. That group gradually faded away over
a number of years. I felt that it lost it's way. Initially I went to
learn more about computing in general, although towards the end I mainly
attended because it was easy to copy software from other people (ahem, I
meant 'backup'). For most members it became a sort of contest to see who
come come along with the best graphics/sound demo. I think that around
the mid 90's when computing really came to the masses software became
easier to use and computing lost some of it's geekyness. Whilst there
was the hardcore which presumably still meets today the computer club
lost it's relevance and didn't keep with the times.

So my question is this, what is the current relevance of the LUG? What
does it do and why are 'the masses' not interested in it? I speak to
people all the time about linux and I know that there are plenty of
Linux users in Scarborough. Is it the responsibility of the LUG to help
these people out? Are we trying to educate the MS users of this world
about the other options available? Apple certainly seem to be doing a
good job of this lately.

I am in business and I have a mission statement which I and all staff
are aware of. What is this groups mission statement?