[SLUG] Contact details (the big discussion)

Ross Kendall ross at rosskendall.com
Sat Aug 2 21:25:31 BST 2008

Hello fellow linux users,

Just thought I would say 'hi' to make my presence known.  I've been on
the list for about a year and a half and only email sometimes (yet to
make it to a meeting, but do plan to sometime).

Here are a couple of my thoughts for the discussion:

    * As far as a missions statement goes, I find the title obvious
      enough (Scarborough Linux Users Group).  The about page of the
      current website states it how I understand it: "The group exists
      as a social and educational forum for Linux users in the
      Scarborough area."
    * The website is very out-of-date and needs updating.  It would be
      good if it could be a community portal where every member could
      post news, discussion topics and generally help with keeping it
      up-to-date.  /I would be happy to port the current site to Drupal
      to help this happen./  (That would remove the need for using
      Facebook, but I'd still be happy to join a FB group)
    * Actually, following on from the above, I just created a Facebook
      group:
      http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22353492307
    * Personally, I am not interested in trying to convert people to
      Linux.  I am happy to help new users out, but otherwise think that
      if the group is to become more active, it would be better off
      trying to attract existing Linux users in Scarborough.

Look forward to meeting some of you at the pub sometime.

Cheers,
Ross.

Ross Kendall
web developer & consultant