[SLUG] Contact details (the big discussion)

Andy Copland andy.copland at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 11:55:03 BST 2008

Why not go half-way and use something like wordpress or typo3?

They offer basic cms functionality (improving steadily) and allow multiple
admins and users can register themselves onto the system. They are both easy
to skin up and theme - but just from experience - the chance of us all
taking time out to update the site are slim.

So is the effort better spent on tidying up the current site - removing the
bits that are outdated and setting up something that is easy to update for
the events page (although I reckon most people will hear about those from
the mailing list).

The facebook idea may flush out some more people interested in a social get
together in Scarborough which would be nice :-)

On a side note - I am happy to host a geek night at my house :-) I think we
just need a theme :-) Gadgets you bought and now hate perhaps? Or maybe a
geek walk up the coastal path to Hayburn Wyke for a beer (and back by
mini-bus for those too inebriated)?

On another note entirely - I plundered the SLUG emails that have bounced
around recently and came up with the following names who are active (i.e.
have emailed the list since I joined the group) - Sorry if I missed any -
just ran a quick check.

Ross Kendall
John Allsopp
Martin Webb
Stephen O'Neil
Al Girling
David Knight
Andy Copland
Fintan Gaughan
Mathew Toseland
Pete Redwood
Des
Woz

There may be more lurking in the shadows - but these seem to be the vocal
ones!

Andy

2008/8/3 John Allsopp <john at johnallsopp.co.uk>

> Martin Webb wrote:
>
>> Ross Kendall wrote:
>>
>>> Here are a couple of my thoughts for the discussion:
>>>
>>>    * The website is very out-of-date and needs updating.  It would be
>>>      good if it could be a community portal where every member could
>>>      post news, discussion topics and generally help with keeping it
>>>      up-to-date.  /I would be happy to port the current site to Drupal
>>>      to help this happen./
>>>

>> Yes, I like the sound of this, and support the use of Drupal. Used Moodle
>> (which is not that dissimilar, but needed adaptation) for a while, for
>> similar purposes.  Worked very well.
>> Martin
>>
> Might a wiki be better than a CMS? I was just thinking .. how will we pass
> the codes for amending the CMS to each other? I know that's not an
> insurmountable problem, but it occurred to me if we publish them here,
> that's public. So that led to the thought of .. well, why not have it public
> anyway?

Andy Copland
andy.copland at gmail.com
mobile: +44 (0) 7970 267 882