[SLUG] Java installation Fedora Core 6 question

Ross Kendall ross at rosskendall.com
Thu Jan 17 21:07:12 GMT 2008

Hi John,

GCJ is not a full Java implementation and the Sun Java is required for
nearly all but the most basic java software.  Go ahead and install the
Sun Java, it will probably come in handy for running something else in
the future, and it shouldn't cause any problems.

The reason why FC6 doesn't  come with Sun's Java is because it is
classed as 'non-free' software (political and licencing reasons, not
technical ones).

Hope that helps,
Ross.