[SLUG] Quick question

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 22:26:46 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 05:58:11PM BST, John Allsopp wrote:
> >This doesn't work either:
> >
> >sed -i s/KoolTrax/KoolTrax\d038/g *.php*
> >
> >It should produce an ampersand (ASCII 38) but actually prints d038
> >instead. Genius.
> >
> >I'm thinking versions of regex but I don't know enough about those.

> It needed ' ' around the main bit. I thought that was only if I had a
> space in there, but apparently not. It works now. I'm tracking down why
> and I'll let you know if I find out.

Glad you've got it sorted.  I can't help you with why sed requires the
substitute command to have '' around it, but it seems to be compulsory
for it to work.

Welcome to the wonderful world of regex.  May the 'Oh yes, brilliant'
moments outweigh the 'F*****g b*****d thing, why don't you work' ones!
:)

Toodle pip,

Al Girling