[SLUG] FS Comparison

Matthew Toseland toad at amphibian.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 13 00:54:10 BST 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 14:53, Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> David Knight wrote:
> > Can anyone point to a simplified version of the info on the
> > wiki page?
>
> Not off hand. Not sure what you'd want the simplified one to say?
>
> > I tend to just plumb for ext 3 when formatting but should I
> > be considering other filesystems?
>
> I wouldn't bother - ext3 is robust and not painfully slow ergo I'd stick
> with it. It being the default for most distributions gives me confidence
> that it's a good choice for my needs.

Exactly: everyone uses it, everyone supports it, it's (essentially) reasonably
old and well established, therefore while it may not have the best
performance, it is probably reasonably robust.

It's a shame about reiser4, reiser4+crypt-compress was looking to be a really
great filesystem (assuming a lot of work on stability etc)... but generally
speaking, performance is secondary to stability. An open source project that
is successfully decapitated probably wasn't working well in the first place,
maybe it will just take a transition period... It will be interesting to see
how long it takes for ext4 to be widely accepted as stable and usable.

Personally, I use reiser3 for most of my LVs, but more out of habit than
anything else. I used to be a big fan. I've had a lot more serious data loss
from LVM than from reiserfs. In both cases combined with either hardware
failures or dumb mistakes.