[SLUG] GPG key signing party

Paul Teasdale pdt at ryetek.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 09:19:23 GMT 2008

Hi Stephen,

> I couldn't decide whether to use a passphrase or passgen for my
> password. I decided to use passgen as choosing a passphrase that was
> over 12 chars was obviously going to be forgotten without much effort. I
> dunno how best to store my passgen password - what do others recommend?

I use KeePass to store all my passwords. You need then only remember one
reasonably big password to get at all your other passwords. It's open source
and runs on Linux, Mac, Windows and my PDA. I'm not sure if it has a
command-line interface however.

> I did the upload to subkeys.pgp.net part, a search immediately after on
> their site didn't show my key... though I'm writing this from memory
> (not at my machine now) and can't find the page I searched on. I'm
> guessing it will show up later.

They don't show up straight away in my experience too. I've searched the key
server via HTTP at http://keyserver.noreply.org and indeed your key is now
present so it worked fine.

> One useful addition to the howto would be how to add multiple email
> addresses. A quick search helped, showing I needed the "adduid" command.
>
> http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~hbp4c/computing/mail/gpg/gpg-maintenance.html

Good point! I have used "adduid" in the past but only tend to stick to one
e-mail address now-a-days and so never spotted that it was a missing (but
optional) step. I'm sure Al can add that into the HOWTO :)

> I'm looking forward to meeting up when speaking to you guys will help my
> feeble mind to hang it all together. I will bring my laptop in case I've
> done anything wrong and so we can point at stuff and go "ooo, ahh".

I'm hopefully going to be coming across with Al so hopefully we'll see you
then.

Regards,
Paul.