[SLUG] GPG key signing party

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 20:49:30 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:49:10AM GMT, Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> Al Girling wrote:
> >or the Howto I've put together at:
> >
> >http://www.ryedale.lug.org.uk/howto.html
>

> It was all a bit scary - one thing that confused me was what my 'User Id
> (UID)' was and what my Key ID was.
>
> I figured out that my UID was "Stephen O'Neill", and the Key ID was the
> 6 or so characters output from gpg at the end of generating my key.
>
> I haven't figured out how I would retrospectively figure this out, but
> haven't tried very hard yet.

Maybe I should add something to the howto to clarify this.

> I couldn't decide whether to use a passphrase or passgen for my
> password. I decided to use passgen as choosing a passphrase that was
> over 12 chars was obviously going to be forgotten without much effort. I
> dunno how best to store my passgen password - what do others recommend?

Hmm, not trying to sound smug, but I rely on my memory.

> I did the upload to subkeys.pgp.net part, a search immediately after on
> their site didn't show my key... though I'm writing this from memory
> (not at my machine now) and can't find the page I searched on. I'm
> guessing it will show up later.

As you have now seen, your key is available from the keyservers.  I've
downloaded it and will send you some encrypted data sometime soon.

> One useful addition to the howto would be how to add multiple email
> addresses. A quick search helped, showing I needed the "adduid" command.
>
> http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~hbp4c/computing/mail/gpg/gpg-maintenance.html

You're quite right, I'll add this to the howto along the usefull bit
about trust levels.

> It's a difficult concept this GPG stuff - I think part of the problem is
>  that it is a vast subject area, but another part of the problem is the
> terminology - there's lots of new stuff to learn!

You'll soon get the hang of it, promise! :)

> I'm looking forward to meeting up when speaking to you guys will help my
> feeble mind to hang it all together. I will bring my laptop in case I've
> done anything wrong and so we can point at stuff and go "ooo, ahh".

Excellent!

I'll send some test messages for you soon.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Linux User: #290080             <http://counter.li.org>
Home-page:                      <http://al.sdf-eu.org>