[SLUG] Scarborough LUG

des wood g3hko at talktalk.net
Sat May 4 14:03:58 UTC 2013

Once more we are reminded that there is a Linux user group in
Scarborough.  I have had a look
at some of the other groups around the UK and noticed that some members
talk to each other.

Last month I received a kind reply to my bleat (a sort of plaintive
tweet)  from three members and it was like a ray of sunshine.

SO I am going to try to say something of interest to others. Perhaps not
much interest but here goes...

I am using Ubuntu 12.1   mainly for email between the family and
friends.  I used to share a little aeroplane so we met an awful lot of
people at airshows and rallies.  I am still in touch with a lot and they
still make us green with envy about their flights over our wonderful
country.  I shudder to think what the cost of a tankful of avgas is
today.   My other usage is spreadsheets for my hobby, loosing money on
buying a and selling shares.  That is where the spreadsheet comes in.

My frustration rises when I have to switch to Microsoft in order to
print my photos.  Epson do not provide a full function Linux driver for
my P50 printer.  I do like to print edge to edge using
the full sheet of expensive photo paper.  Being an old wet photographer,
I am more at home up to
my elbows in developer and I have a loft full of old cameras and enlargers.

My other use of the computer is to assist in recording my log in amateur
radio which nowadays is restricted in what is called SOTA. Sumits on the
Air involves one group of idiots climbing mountains
together with their transmitters and aerials, erecting them on the top
and transmitting in morse to
slightly less energetic people at home listening for them.

A complex system of scoring points gives a competitive edge to the
passtime and keeps me out of trouble for hours on end.   For further
info Google "sotawatch2"

I have noticed several readers letters in Linux format complaining about
change for the sake of change in various successive of Ubuntu.  It seems
that just as we have found out where the last change put everthing
another one comes along and puts the brakes on for a week or two.  This
of course will depend on your IT savvey.

Over the years, since The Cricketers" days and on the advice of John,
bless 'im, I have accumulated a
pile of vintage issues of Linux Format.  The management, chez  moi are
anxious for me to get
rid of them so if anyone is looking for a bit of ballast please give me
a ring on 363982 an