[sclug] Socket timeout

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 17:02:58 UTC 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Douglas Holden wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 09:20, Ian Michell wrote:
>

> > Ok then, I have a few copies of Fedora Core 1, if you are interested,
> > its not Debian, but comes close in many respects ;) and can use both apt
> > and yum
> >
> Ian
> Yes please! I was going to have a crack at Red-Hat 9 which is more
> readily available. Also better described in mags etc.

Apart from Fedora-specific foibles <http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/>, you'll
find most things work on Fedora as on RH8/9. I haven't seen any big
surprises on my scratch box yet.

> I didn't know that the Fedora Core 1 used apt; I thought that since it was
> associated with RH it would use rpms.

Fedora still uses RPM. Apt is just a dependency resolution tool; it
originally used Debian's dpkg for package management, but Connectiva ported
it to use RPM.

> Doug

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?