[sclug] Video driver problem

Tony Sumner whittycat at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:29 UTC 2003

I have been corresponding with RedHat support about the problem I had
(CTRL-ALT-Fn works but ALT-F7 doesn't) and it turns out that there is
not yet a supported driver for the S3 chipset with Trio64V+ in version
4 of XFree86. Strange; the s3 driver works ok in every way except that
one. So what do I do now:

  1. re-install RedHat 7.1 (and lose OpenOffice);
  2. wait for XFree86 to come up with a driver;
  3. Install Debian instead :-)
  4. buy another card (and enjoy more than 1MB of RAM)

What do you recommend? If 4, what is your favourite card?

Tony Sumner