FW: [sclug] Firewalls

tim tim at holmes.name
Sat Oct 25 09:05:31 UTC 2003

I used to have ipcop on the machine I am now using to build my own. I have
changed for 2 reasons.
1. to learn more about firewalls and linux
2. Could not seem to get the NAT working on ipcop. My local addresses
192nnnnnn seemed to leak out into the net, which seemed good in some ways
in that sites thought my ip address was 192 etc, but bad in the fact that
I was not doing it deliberately and I am sure its not good generally.

On a side note I have read a lot of the postings about ipcop and
smoothwall and got the impression that the ipcop lot left Smoothwall
because the Smoothwall head guy wanted to start charging for the full
version of Smoothwall. Whish seems good to me, but I can also symapthise
with wanting to charge, as like most people I have to to live. (would love
to code software that people used and not charge them for it but I dont
have the means to do so hehehehe)

Thanks for all the responses, I will keep going with my own brew, probably
on a Debian machine when I have downloaded all of the latest version, and
then probably go back to ipcop and get it working how I want.