FW: [sclug] Firewalls

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at hp.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

lug at assursys.co.uk wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Tom Dawes-Gamble wrote:
>

>>lug at assursys.co.uk wrote:

>>>That depends. It's impossible to get some protocols (non-PASV FTP being the
>>>most notable) working without modifying the payload. Yes, this is prone to
>>>error - consider what happens to the size of the packet if the client
>>>address is 1.2.3.4 and the NATted address is 111.122.133.144. Now consider
>>>what happens if the payload was already of size (MTU-40)...
>>>

>>That's not a nice exercise to leave to the reader.  :-)
>>Though my guess is
>>
>>MTU - 40 = MTU - Envelope
>>
>>then in the envelope 1.2.3.4 would be 00000001 00000010 00000011 00000100
>>          and 111.122.133.144 would be 01101111 01111010 10000101 10010000
>>
>>in that case the envelope does not change size.
>

> It would be, apart from the fact that FTP uses ASCII when sending PORT
> commands... suddenly your packet is 4x2=8 bytes longer than it was. But the
> packet was already at maximum MTU size! Yow!

But surely the port "command" is not part of the envelope but is in body.

The Envelope to my mind should be fixed size and contain the source &
destination IP Addresses, Port number, Protocol (UDP | TCP ), Sequence number
and maybe the source and destination MAC addresses packet size and so on.
Numbers should be in binary and in a machine indedendent order to allow for
the big endian little endian problems.  ASCII does not make sense in the
Envelope.  After all you may be talking to an EBCIDIC machine.  :-)

Tom.

--
There are 10 sorts of people.
Those that understand Binary and those that don't.