[sclug] RTL8201 (Sis961) problem

Pieter Claassen pieter at openauth.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

I don't understand what happened with my dev machine. I installed debian which I used to develop with for quite a while. The machine saw the network card (driver compiled into the 2.4.18-bf kernel).

I then installed a second hard drive, used debootstrap to install a new copy of the software to that machine, then chrooted to that drive and suddenly I have problems with my network connection.

1. The machine can ping anywhere fine.
2. It can make http connections to any machine on the local subnet, but it  times out on large volumes of data.
3. Can sometimes make connections within the SP network, but mostly times out.
4. I get collisions on the ifconfig (low amount), but sometimes I get drops and sometimes the syslog tells me: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit time out
5. I have the card plugged into an Intel 10 MB hub but no light comes on on the hub when I plug it in (this might always have been). I get a Kernel: eth0: Media Link On 10 mbps half-duplex.
6. It does get a DHCP address (but sometimes not)
7. traceroute starts out keen and well but falters after a number of hops (the other machines on the local sub all gets to the urls no problem)
8. DNS resolves fine.

I have no idea what is going on! Any suggestion on how to start to address the problem?
All help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pieter
-----------------------------
Pieter Claassen
pieter at openauth.co.uk
http://www.openauth.co.uk

OpenAuth
Tel: 01344 390530
DDI: 01344 390630/390631
Fax number: 01344 390700
Mobile:  0776 665 6924

Highview House
Charles Square
Bracknell
Berkshire
RG12 1DF

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
(i)The information contained in this email and attachments is only intended for the addressed recipient(s) and may not be distributed or viewed by any other party without the explicit consent of the sender. If you have received this message by accident, please contact Pieter Claassen (pieter at openauth.co.uk) and destroy any electronic or physical copies of the information contained in it, immediately.
(ii)This email is not certified to be virus free and OpenAuth accepts no liability for losses arising from you receiving this email.
(iii)Any digital signatures (if present) used to authenticate this email, only serves to allow you to verify the originating email address of the sender and should not be relied upon to prove identity or base financial transactions on, unless the Certificate Practice Statement that the signature references, explicitly states differently.
(iv)This email may be subjected to further terms and conditions as published on the company website at http://www.openauth.co.uk. If you need to rely on the information contained in this email in any way, then you should read those terms and conditions to understand how much you can trust the information in this email.