[sclug] Re: Firewalls

Rick Payne rickp at rossfell.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

--On Monday, January 20, 2003 1:56 am +0000 Will Dickson
<wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> At the risk of going waaay off-topic, does anybody know
> what the situation is with IPv6? It appears to have gone off
> the mainstream's radar. Presumably NAT has relieved the
> IP address crunch sufficiently to allow it to be held off for
> a little longer.

The problem with IPv6 is that it requires a significant investment in new
hardware for most folks (at just the time when traffic growth and capital
constraints don't allow for that) - due to the fact that any serious router
uses hardware forwarding of some description.

Couple that with the fact that the real issue folks hit is the churn in the
routing tables, and the growth of route announcements - a topic that IPv6
helps only marginally - then you can understand the lack of enthusiasm.

The thing thats going to help route-announcement growth is something to
solve the 'I need to a /19's worth of address space, so I can announce it
to all my providers, and access to my important webserver will be more
resiliant' issue. For instance, take E-Bay. They're announcing a /19 -
thats 8192 addresses. I'm sure they need a fair number, but do they
*really* need that many?

I'd wager that they do not - but they *do* for sensible business reasons
need to be resiliantly connected to the network. Currently that means
getting a fair chunk of address space and announcing it to multiple
upstreams. As many backbone providers are filtering small announcements -
people tend to require a /19 as a minimum to multihome.

A fair few folks believe that the solution to this 'multi-homing' problem
will result in a shift in the way things work. It would be a *whole* lot
neater to get that sorted out *before* a move to IPv6. Unfortunately, for
some silly political reasons, Asia are driving the early deployment of IPv6
by giving tax breaks on IPv6 capable equipment from what I hear. I'd rather
the technological decisions be made for better reasons that tax breaks.

Rick