[sclug] Debian X win config document

Greg-e gmills at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

Hello Pieter,

Monday, January 27, 2003, 10:51:00 AM, you wrote:

> I am sick and tired of hacking X windows to work. Does anybody know if there is a X configuration document (FAQ etc) for Woody that I can read to understand the config options for X under Debian?

> I can get it going, but I have the following problems:
> 1. Sometimes, X installs fine on a machine and I get a graphical login that will not allow me to log in as root.
> 2. Other times I can startx but with a reboot no luck I get a failure with something like "gdm is not your default window manager???".
> 3. Debian seems to have S99X files under rc3.d. I thought Linux only started X under runlevel 5? What should my defaul runlevel be under Debian with X?
> 4. There is a plethora of X documentation (out there) referencing config files that just don't seem to not be on my box. Where do I specify the window manager, the desktop manager etc? What is the
> difference between kdm, gdm etc? Can I start the KDE on gdm (I get a error in my syslog that says during boot, Xprt_64: Fatal server error: No screens found? But I can startx.

May I add another question to your list? (it's a lot less techy) :

5. I use VNC to access my linux box from my 2k machine. I have a vnc
   server on the linux box and the viewer on my 2k machine. However,
   this isn't too good for my network (as vnc is sending a graphical
   representation of the x session). I can't afford an X-viewer like
   Exceed. Is it possible to EITHER:
     a) send the X-session data across the lan and have a windows VNC
     server pick them up, render them and pass them on to the viewer,
     which is also on the same machine
                             OR:
     b) get hold of a freeware/gnu x-viewer which is comparable or
     better in stability and quality to exceed

Sorry, it's rather a long question!

Greg