[sclug] Nice board to use with Linux

pieter claassen pieter at pieterclaassen.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:33 UTC 2003

I have eventually managed to get a stable and nice platform working and
thought I would let you all know in case you are looking for a system
like this.

The board  is an Elite L4S5MG/GL with a SiS 650 north bridge chip. The
network card goes with the sis900 driver and the sound card goes with
the i810 driver (don't expect too much).

You have to download the X driver from
www.winischhofer.net/linuxsis630.shtml but it works fine when installed.

My company offers a recoverable build on this hardware for both linux
and MS windows. What that means is that we ship the machines with three
partitions, one for data, one for the main os and one for a recovery os.
If things go wrong, then there is a standard image on the recovery OS
which you can then re-install and that will get the machine going again.
The idea is to offer support for both corporates and individuals on this
product range (linux support!). The openauth website has some articles
on TCO improvements in moving to linux and outsourcing the support of
the systems.

We are hiring people so if you know of any technical support people
interested, please let me know.

Last questions:
1. My tooltips are not working on the KDE no matter that I specifically
activated them (normal) in the control panel. Any ideas? Version
2.2.2-14
2. The current build is from the unstable tree. This might be a little
bid edgy. If I want to move the build back to lets say "testing", can I
do this with dselect (without it de- and reinstalling my whole binary
tree)?

Thanks,
Pieter
www.openauth.co.uk