[sclug] Linux desktop alternative

Pieter Claassen pieter at openauth.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:33 UTC 2003

Dear all,

This email is just a quick commentary on what I am doing. Please feel free
to offer your opinion.

One of the projects that OpenAuth worked on in the last few months is
putting together a MS desktop replacement. I did this because I believe that
this is a good idea for a  number of reasons:
1. If we all keep on buying MS for our desktops, then there is a serious
issue with long term systemic risk. It is not a good idea to have a single
and only option in the desktop market for both licensing reasons as well as
functionality reasons (I think the details here speaks for itself, but if
anybody feels it is not true, please speak up).
2. Linux can and does provide the basic functionality to run your business
functions (even though this is more difficult to get going)
3. The total effort required to do version control in Linux is lower than MS
and more accessible to the wider development community.
4. Linux is cheaper, easier and more flexible to support remotely.
5. Linux  security is in general better designed than MS (not always
consistent implementation though)
6. It is less risky and less expensive to run Linux on your desktop (under
very specific conditions!)

To have done this, I had to resolve the following issues:
1. Hardware compatibility and support issues (Linux is clearly more
difficult to run on all hardware)
2. Functionality issues. I had to put together a complete functionality list
of what you want to do with your PC and then source and install those
applications and hardware.
3. Upgrading issues. How to reasonably upgrade a system without braking
custom installs.
4. Cater for emergent requirements. The better something works, the more it
is used, the more they want to do with it ;-)
5. Build a secure remote support infrastructure.
6. Demonstrate that the TCO for Linux is really lower than MS.

So, the system that I have build is:
1. Debian based and all packages managed with APT.
2. Ethernet and wireless networking enabled.
3. Functionality list: StarOffice suite, multimedia (video, DVD, CD playing
and ripping), Internet browser and mail, CD writer, scanner support, printer
support.
4. Recovery strategy with backup and restore.
5. Remote management via OpenVPN (works over NATted gateways)
6. All system based on standardised and tested hardware and peripherals. We
only supply and support a limited, but complete list of scanners, cd
writers, wireless cards, printers etc.

To demonstrate the TCO argument, I designed a remotely supported scalable
(1 -x users)infrastructure that is primarily rented from OpenAuth. User can
buy the hardware as well if they feel so inclined.

Here are some comments on what I have learned and what I think about this:
1. Once everything is set up for a standard build, it actually is quite
stable and functionality is comparable to the stuff we had on Windows 3.11
(yeah, I also wonder why we ever had to buy 95?). As far as I can see, the
basic functional requirements can be met with Linux. I never really managed
to use all the options in my printer and scanning software anyhow.
2. Linux functionality is increasing rapidly through standardisation! This
is for me an important one because I believe this growth is much more rapid
than the windows growth. To quote some examples, just look at ALSA and SANE,
the sound and scanning environments. Each minor version release does make a
huge difference in ease of detecting devices and number of devices detected.
3. I believe the TCO calculations are correct (you can get the paper on the
website at
http://www.openauth.co.uk:8080/files/asset_management/tco_desktop).
4. The solution looks like it will benefit the SME environment most (more
than single users).
5. There are case studies on the TCO for Linux in the server environment,
but there is very little known about the support costs for Linux in the DT
environment. Only time will tell if this is working.

I am giving a demonstration of the system on the 18th of March in Bracknell.
Please let me know if anybody is interested in attending.

Do you believe that Linux can compete with MS on the desktop?
Does any of you use Linux exclusively on your desktop and if not, why not?

Regards,
Pieter

-----------------------------
Pieter Claassen
pieter at openauth.co.uk
http://www.openauth.co.uk

OpenAuth
Tel: 01344 390530
DDI: 01344 390630/390631
Fax number: 01344 390700
Mobile:  0776 665 6924

Highview House
Charles Square
Bracknell
Berkshire
RG12 1DF

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
(i)The information contained in this email and attachments is only intended
for the addressed recipient(s) and may not be distributed or viewed by any
other party without the explicit consent of the sender. If you have received
this message by accident, please contact Pieter Claassen
(pieter at openauth.co.uk) and destroy any electronic or physical copies of the
information contained in it, immediately.
(ii)This email is not certified to be virus free and OpenAuth accepts no
liability for losses arising from you receiving this email.
(iii)Any digital signatures (if present) used to authenticate this email,
only serves to allow you to verify the originating email address of the
sender and should not be relied upon to prove identity or base financial
transactions on, unless the Certificate Practice Statement that the
signature references, explicitly states differently.
(iv)This email may be subjected to further terms and conditions as published
on the company website at http://www.openauth.co.uk. If you need to rely on
the information contained in this email in any way, then you should read
those terms and conditions to understand how much you can trust the
information in this email.
(v)OpenAuth retains the copyright on any relevant material that is included
in this email.