[sclug] Linux desktop alternative

Pieter Claassen pieter at openauth.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:34 UTC 2003

Hi Tony,

Wireless Ethernet and Linux is fine as long as you have a bit a patience and
luck.

As far as cards are concerned, I suggest get an actiontec USB wireless card
(the main issue here is that I know the prism2 based card works), however,
you should check out the wlan page http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/
which will lead you to other pages with more info. There is loads of info on
this.

If you compiled your own kernel and are happy to do this again, then no
problem at all and you can install from the source. The linux-wlan-ng driver
needs to be compiled with the source tree of your booted kernel. This is
very important otherwise it won't work.

However, if you are a Debian user, then you are in luck (as long as you
don't use the ALSA sound system because there is no binary distro for the
2.4.20 pre-compiled kernel) because there is a precompiled set of modules
for the 2.4.20-5 kernel. All you do is get the linux-wlan-modules-2.4.20.deb
and the linux-wlan-utils.deb packages and install them. Then it will go
fine. Config is a little tricky, but make sure you install the two scripts
in /usr/share/doc/linux-wlan-ng/examples in /etc/init.d/wlan and
/etc/wlan.conf and hack the wlan.conf file to do your setup. I think you can
push your setup through the interfaces file as well.

Debian has a divergent approach to the management of the cards as it is done
through the /etc/network/interfaces file where you put all your normal
networking info. Note that there is a bug in the
/etc/network/if-post-down.d/linux-wlan-ngxx script in that it tries to yank
the prism2_pci module as opposed to the prism2_usb module after use. Having
this module loaded will make your machine crash on shutdown.

Also, note that it seems normal for the system to crash if you unplug the
card while the module is still loaded.

Also, watch out for hotplug as it seems to be a problem (I am not sure
anymore since it might have been the if-post-down bug)

If you want to go this way, call me because I have sorted this out and can
get it going eyes wide shut.

Then the second question.

I suggest the following setup

cable-modem ------->hub<--------------belkin AP (it works and is cheap)(does
anybody know how to get the ap management software to run on Linux?)
                                                                    ^

                                                                   actiontec
802
The AP normally leases an IP from your DHCP server and works out of the box
with no security. You will have to change this.

Cheers,
Pieter