[sclug] dd question

Pieter Claassen pieter at openauth.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:34 UTC 2003

The two drives that I am copying are exactly the same on the same
motherboard.

The swap partition might be a problem and I wonder if disabling swapping for
the copy might not be a good idea? Everything should happen in ram anyhow
since the bs is only 4Mb.

I expected that if I make sure that the root partition is only ro and swap
is off that there should not be a problem copying the disk. What happens to
the proc filesystem with a dd?

Pieter