[sclug] (no subject)

Pieter Claassen pieter at openauth.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:34 UTC 2003

Hi Chris,
I would recommend you do this via an external router rather than the box
itself, unless you plan to run a firewall etc. on it and dedicate the box as
a gateway.

I use an AsusEV router (don't think you can get them anymore) and a
Connexant (real cheap from Dabs) and they both work fine. The things that
you want your router to have are:
1. NAT (most of them do have)
2. Make sure that it is pppoa and not pppoe and that it takes RJ11 at the
back and ethernet (not RJ45-RJ45)
3. DHCP (most have)
4. Port forwarding if you want to run services from your environment
5. Telnet management interface (doing everything through the web can
sometimes be a problem, especially if you work remotely)
6. Good audit logging (This is important because there is no other practical
way to debug the connection if you are having problems). The connexant sucks
at this and the EV only has logging if you telnet into it (no web interface
to logging)
7. Firmware upgrade (the Connexant needed a firmware upgrade not to crash on
IP fragmentation)
8. I find that most firewalls on routers suck and are not worth the trouble.
The routers are normally quite secure because of the NAT (it is not possible
to make connections into your environment) and the only stuff you really
have to watch out for are router vulnerabilities (most of them come with web
management and ftp on both interfaces switched ON! which means any Tom, Dick
or Harry can brute force your router and then you are in trouble)
9. A bonus is a router that has the NAT pluggins for .... (quake,
netmeeting, MSN, ftp etc.) and if you can upload custom ones, then let me
know because that will be a first.

I also have had good experiences with netgear stuff but have not tested
their ADSL router. Check out www.adslguide.org for router reviews.
Pieter