[sclug] Mozilla and spam

Patrick Kirk patrick at kirks.net
Sat Oct 25 09:05:34 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I used use Spamassassin as my email filter but found that over the last
year it has simply been overwhelmed by the volume of stuff that's out
there.  I ended up adding condition after condition to my .forward until
it reached several hundred lines excluding things like Korean character
sets, javascript within email bodies and specific IP ranges used in China.

Mozilla's nightly builds now include a Bayesian filter as suggested in
this article: http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html

I started using it in January and it is brilliant.  After a week I was
impressed so I deleted all the stuff in my .forward and set the
spamassassin thresholld at 50 in order to see how Mozilla coped.  On
over 3000 emails it has made only 1 mistake.

If you have a problem with tons of junk (I get over 100 daily but I know
some people on this list get far more) I recommend you try Mozilla for
email.

Patrick