[sclug] Mozilla and spam

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:34 UTC 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:21:03AM +0000, lug at assursys.co.uk wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Patrick Kirk wrote:
> [snip]
> > Mozilla's nightly builds now include a Bayesian filter as suggested in
> > this article: http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html
> I thought SpamAssassin included similar Bayesian filtering?

A friend tried mozilla's filter and loved it (his blog at
http://www.trioptimum.co.uk/ gives some vague figures).

I believe more recent versions do but I got fed up of loading hulking
masses of perl.  Yes, I know about spamc, but it doesn't support unix
sockets (or didn't when I last looked) and the patch to support them
hadn't been rejected with any really good reasons so I can't really use
it on the shared box I do my email on.

I send myself a lot of mail (mail gets bcc'd to role addresses so there
is a record of it) so the delay was /really/ noticeable.

I'm using bogofilter.  It's not perfect but it is better than
spamassassin for my use anyway.  It's very quick and it does a
reasonable job.  I've not tried the latest bogofilter where the
default algorithm has changed over to a supposedly better one yet.

The other problem I have is being on abuse@ for Black Cat so I've had to
divert that (and mail bounces) outside bogofilter as they often contain
spam and therefore often score highly.

But yes, overall it performs well.  I see virtually no false positives
and a few false negatives of spams in languages I don't often encounter.

Simon.

--
 -+//   "Ah, here we are - `How to Raise the Dead.'" - Bart Simpson    \\+-