[sclug] Mozilla tabs question

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:35 UTC 2003

Andy Arbon wrote:

> What I'd like is to make mozilla capture any new window that is opened
> for any reason (whether it's onClick or onLoad) in a new tab instead of
> opening a new window.
>
> I have reason to think it can be done, but I think it's a hidden pref.
> It definitely can't be done from any options in the preferences dialog.
>
> Does anyone know how to make it happen?

Well:

- Phoenix does this trivially - there's a simple option which says,
"only open a new window when I explictly tell you to" - i.e. File|New
Window - and everything else opens in a tab.

- If you specifically want the Mozilla trunk, try "Multizilla" (an
extension to Mozilla itself) from http://multizilla.mozdev.org/ . It has
tab options coming out of its ears, but unfortunately it hasn't quite
got its head round the very simple idea that Phoenix uses.

NB. If you're using Mozilla 1.3.x, you need to use Multizilla 1.3.x
(most recent in series), *not* the 1.4.x version they're promoting.
1.4.x only works with Mozilla 1.4.x (which is very alpha right now).

HTH,

Will.

PS. If anybody else is aware of a "hidden option", which does this, I'd
like to know about it - I use the rest of the Mozilla trunk as well as
the browser (so Phoenix isn't great for me) and Multizilla doesn't quite
work in the way I'd like.