[sclug] Software on a remote box

H/J Wyper wypers at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:35 UTC 2003

Strange that you're not happy with VNC.  I run it over a ~1 mbit wireless
connection and find it servicable if not as fast as a local session.  I used
the following hints to optimise the connection:

1. Using ssh with compression to forward a connection from your remote host
(vnc server) to the client:

ssh -C -L 5901:localhost:5901 remotehost

(this assumes that you've set up the vnc server as display :1 )

then vncviewer localhost:1

if you have slow machines and/or a fast network this may not produce a
performance increase - it may even degrade performance.

2. Don't make the vnc server's geometry bigger than it needs to be, and
start it with depth -16 (16 bit colour; it's the most efficient).

3. Finally, if the window manager you're running has wallpaper, remove it.

Hope this helps - it's all information I've gleaned from the vnc website so
you may well have tried it already.
James.