[sclug] C programming question and date on Linux

Roland Turner raz.fpyht.bet.hx at raz.cx
Sat Oct 25 09:05:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 04:57:09PM +0100, Rick Payne wrote:

> I'd just use brute force to find where ETH_ALEN was defined ('find . -type
> f | xargs grep ETH_ALEN', seasoned to taste).

Naturally, when using find/xargs, -0 is a must:

    find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep ETH_ALEN

(Are you _certain_ that nothing in "." has whitespace in its name?
Improbable and impossible aren't the same thing.)

In any event, GNU grep has long had a -r option, so find/xargs is
redundant in this case:

    grep -r ETH_ALEN .

- Raz