[sclug] Bash boohoo

pieter claassen pieter at openauth.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:36 UTC 2003

Ok, I am embarrassed at having to ask about this, but it is either ask
or kill at this stage....

I have the following piece of shell script

RESULT=`brctl show` # returns three lines of info on bridge info
echo $RESULT #prints all three lines on one line

Why does the last line not honour the "\n" (0x0a)?

But more important, how do I fix this? I have explored the more esoteric
solutions via awk etc. but I am sure that there must be a simple reason
and solution to this problem.

Does bash have any string manipulation capability?

Thanks,
Pieter