[sclug] Noisy web server

Chris Hammond atg at pomgolian.f2s.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:36 UTC 2003

Hi all
I turned up to a meeting about 2 months ago,  (missed the last one but should catch the next) anyway, I was talking to people there (they were the drunk ones, you know who you are) about mini-itx motherboards and building computers into anything that stays still long enough to catch. Well my little project is finished - feel free to feast your eyes on the new acoustic web server.

http://pomgolian.homelinux.com/photos/photos.php?TopicID=WebServer

However, being an acoustic device, it would be good to keep the HDD asleep. It wakes up about every 20 minutes or so and I am not sure what it causing the activity. I have done a find blah blah -amin and all that but what ever it is doesn't seem to leave a footprint (well everything in /proc is touched but nothing in /var.
I have turned everything of  that I can and it is not a cron job. I am running samba so it will be broadcasting every now and then but even if I turn off announcing shares it still spins the disk every now and then. Has anybody done anything like putting /var/logs  and /var/html into a ram drive and managed to get the HDD to sleep permanently?
I don't want to reinvent the wheel so hopefully somebody has already done this and knows what needs to be put into a ram  for a silent web server.
By the way, the software is called slooze that is running my little web page. From sourceforge, great bit of work.

Regards
Pomgolian