[sclug] Documentation and indexing server

pieter claassen pieter at openauth.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:36 UTC 2003

I am sure somebody has done this before, so I thought I jump in as ask.
I need to set up documentation for a product and I think I want to do it
all in html.

So, here are the questions:
1. I need a tool that either makes editing html easy (something like a
wiki) and generating html docs easy or that allows the editing of html
via a browser. Using a html editor for generating docs seems a little
overkill.
2. The documentation needs to go into version control so I guess the
easiest is to just ship a bundled tar file with a documentation tree
zipped up? That means whatever tool I want to use for editing and
indexing etc. cannot be something like zope that requires a DB behind
it.
3. I need an indexing server (script!) to make my documentation
search-able.
4. It need to keep it simple.

As I mentioned idexing, does anybody know of a good indexing solution
for linux that doesn't require a web interface? I have too much info
spread over too many disks and it is getting difficult not to loose
something.

Thanks in advanced for the comments.
Regards,
Pieter