[sclug] ext2 disaster recovery

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:36 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I've just had a power brownout which took down my server for about half
    a second. Now the root filesystem won't fsck.

Unfortunately, there are some important files on there, for which my
backups are rather badly out of date :-(.

I have a linux workstn which fortunately wasn't affected, so I can move
the drive containing the corrupt filesystem onto that as a secondary drive.

My questions are:

1. How do you mount a known-bad filesystem, i.e. force it to mount
read-only without trying to fsck?

2. Are there any tips / tricks / hacks for this kind of situation?

3. What's the situation with ext3 these days? The last time I read about
it, it was considered not quite ready for production use, but that was
a while ago. Am I correct in thinking that if I'd had ext3 rather than
ext2 I wouldn't be in this mess?

All help gratefully received!

Will.