[sclug] Poll: What languages are people using

Paul Vanlint paul at polyzing.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:37 UTC 2003

> I use C and Bourne Shell and HTML and I am just starting to get to
> know PHP so I may need some help with that. I use Oracle (SQL and
> Report Writer and Forms but an old version) at the university.

PHP is pretty easy to pick up. One of the differences between PHP and C
is PHPs built-in container types such as hash. The class stuff is pretty
cool too (me being a C++ programmer too), but you can use PHP without
using classes.

One of the biggest practical issues to address if you are writing PHP
code for other people is compatibility between different types. Every so
often (sometimes feels like every release), the PHP guys change the way
that you use things, such as the way to access HTTP GET parameters.
writing stand alone PHP scripts also has a few issues.

If you are just writing for yourself, I would recommend using either
4.2.2 or 4.3.1.

I am sure you have used www.php.net by now, but it really is a superb
resource for finding out stuff.

If you have a problem you can't find on there then post to the list and
I'll see if I can help.

Paul.