[sclug] Linux Registry [formally: (no subject)]

James Fidell james at cloud9.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:38 UTC 2003

[Not including your own post, because it was HTML]

Firstly, you'd need to demonstrate that some form of single binary
registry *would* actually produce any improvement in performance.
Given that the content would largely be configuration data that is
rarely read during the lifetime of a process, I think you'll have
a hard time doing that.  Consider also what actual amount of time is
used to read and parse even a large text-based config. file.  Fractions
of a second?  If you're worried about that, you need to be buying a
faster machine.

Secondly, there's not a cat in hell's chance that you'd ever persuade
systems admins who run machines completely remotely, sometimes over a
mobile phone link with a handheld pc that a binary registry for
configuration is a good idea :)

As an aside, I don't believe the MS Windoze registry is anything to
do with speed.  It's about programming convenience, IMHO, given that
nearly all configuration is done with GUI tools.

James