[sclug] Linux Registry [formally: (no subject)]

Chris Hammond chris at hammond.net
Sat Oct 25 09:05:38 UTC 2003

Funny you should say windows should use a text file system for the registry.
The new .NET platform aka windows 2003  uses mostly xml files for all the config settings for the unbuilt apps.
Funny how win3.1 had .ini files. looks like full circle again.

Chris
> Gnome are implementing a registry type approach to the desktop config.This is called GConf  (see link below):

http://developer.gnome.org/feature/archive/gconf/gconf.html

I think you will find considerable resistance from *nix fans to a binary
registry ala windows. Perhaps a modicum less resistance to an xml registry.
That said, text file configurations are a tried and tested (and trusted) way
of managing your config - you can even put all your config files in cvs if
you feel so inclined!

Perhaps a more interesting project would be to implement a text file based
configuration system to replace the registry in windows ? :-P

Tim <