[sclug] Amusement

Mark Smiles msmiles at agere.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:38 UTC 2003

hello Peeps,
Here's some legacy stuff  i did a long while ago. Basic , z80 assembler
, 8086 , 80186, CPM , MPM (remember golf ball terminals and punch cards
for programming !?)   Occam with concurrent Uclid (at college for micro
processor design on inmos 64- bit  way back in '87),.  lately, I've
started brushing up on expect , learning Perl  to work with apache and
tomcat which i use a lot. When i can get some time, i would  like to
understand  PHP, python, mysql and Java a bit more. Prolog is pants from
what i saw years ago on Sun0S .  I know someone who programmed the
shuttle arm with ADA but said ADA is a real pain to program in as the
are so many variants in expressions to use plus the semantics are all in
American idioms( says me using a US spell checker).

LDAP looks useful and i'm  toying with the Idea of  replacing NIS with
LDAP in a  distributed compute farm to track accounting usage on wider
scopes than NIS can provide.
Any  people knowledgeable in  Ruby programing ?

Regards,
Mark