[sclug] RUG 6 May 03 notes

Tim Sutton t.sutton at reading.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:39 UTC 2003

To be honest kmail is just my personal preference & I dont know the moz email
client particularly well. Kmail does everything I need (and then some!) and
integrates nicely into kde. Similar reasons for konqueror. I do prefer the
rendered pages under konq to moz and it integrates nicely into kde.

WRT the date of the talk - I will need to check with Mike when the next RUG
meeting is. IIRC it is the first wed of each month?

Regards

Tim

On Monday 19 May 2003 11:33 am, David Herring wrote:
> Tim,
>
> This would be a bery interesting talk - I would like to attend.
>
> Do you beleive the Kmail is better that the Mozilla email client ?
>
> Similarly do you find Konqueor better that Mozilla for browsing ?
>
> Let us know when the talk is talking place,
>
> Regards Dave
>
> Tim Sutton wrote:
> >Hi Mike
> >
> >That was a really interesting presentation you gave at the RUG meeting! I
> > was going to throw in the offer of doing a follow up on 'The Linux
> > Desktop Experience' which will probably turn out to be the Linux KDE
> > Experience because of my strong bias towards KDE :-) The idea being to
> > give those in RUG unfamiliar with what you can do on linux a better
> > flavour of how it can productively used for day to day work.
> >
> >We could cover:
> >
> >Basic DE:
> >---------------
> >Background to the project
> >Kicker
> >The kde file dialog (which is brilliant!)
> >Theming your desktop
> >
> >Internet:
> >---------------
> >Konq (its the best browser :-)
> >Kmail as a mail client
> >Kopete (instant messaging)
> >
> >Multimedia:
> >----------------
> >The GIMP!
> >Pixie
> >XMMS
> >
> >Productivity:
> >----------------
> >OpenOffice
> >
> >Development:
> >----------------
> >Quanta
> >Kdevelop
> >
> >Q & A:
> >----------------
> >
> >Any other SCLUG members who want to pitch in to cover some of the above
> > topics are more than welcome. :-) Or maybe offer the same talk from the
> > GNOME perspective (where things dont overlap)?
> >
> >I can also bring along a couple of sets of Mandrake CD's so anyone
> > interested can take it home and try it out. I probably would only have
> > time to write one or two sets, so if any other SCLUG folks could offer to
> > burn up a couple of sets that would be useful. Maybe knoppix might also
> > be usefule here?
> >
> >Interested? Follow the black & yellow penguin neo .....
> >
> >Tim
> >
> >8<------------ original message snipped -----------------

- --
Tim Sutton
BDWorld Middleware Programmer
BiodiversityWorld Project
Centre for Plant Diversity & Systematics
School of Plant Sciences
The University of Reading
Reading, RG66AS, UK

Web     :   www.bdworld.org
Phone  :   +44-(0)118-378-6052
Email    :   t.sutton [at] reading.ac.uk
(email preferred method of correspondence)