[sclug] RUG 6 May 03 notes

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:40 UTC 2003

Leon Ward wrote:
> I think MUA choice is all down to personal preference.
> Kmail / Mozilla / Evolution / mutt / pine / whatever
>

> BTW / Does Konq use gecko or its own rendering engine?

It's own renderer, called KHTML. FWIW Apple are currently building their
own browser for Mac (Safari) which is also based on KHTML. Various
reasons why they chose KHTML over Gecko have been proposed; one view
from a Gecko hacker (can't remember the exact attribution) is that Gecko
is internally severely optimised to minimise the footprint of the render
tree, which makes the code complex. (This is one of the issues they
intend to tackle after Moz 1.4).

Personally I like Mozilla 'cos it's genuinely cross-platform; I work in
a mixed environment so this matters to me. Presumably the KDE-specific
UAs trade this for better integration? Plus it does everything I need,
doesn't have any bugs that bite / sting, and eats spam :-)

Will.