[sclug] Eclipse IDE

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:40 UTC 2003

Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>

> On a more general note, what is your opinion of eclipse? How does it compare
> to JBuilder8?

Well, for a start, I see about 999 excellent reasons (U.S.) to prefer
Eclipse! (The gratis version of JB can't be used to develop commercial
code.)

I haven't used JB since version 3; I changed over to Forte when JB3 got
broken by Java1.4, and tried Eclipse shortly afterwards when an upgrade
to Forte went horribly wrong and left me with an unusable install.

I like it (it's my primary work IDE), not least because there seems to
be a lot less of it. Forte was huge, and spent half an hour loading
extensions for everything under the sun, none of which I used, and had a
seriously cluttered UI. Eclipse does what I need, it's clean, it's quick
(since it doesn't use Swing), and its dependency and build management is
a lot better than Forte's. (Forte tended to miss subtle dependencies).