[sclug] Debian: strange console behaviour?

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:41 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I have a Debian machine which starts certain Java applications at boot
time. They work OK, but when they print console messages, it behaves as
though the console had seen a line-feed but no carriage-return - the
first character of the line is immediately to the right of the last
character of the preceeding line.

All other console messages come out OK. The Java messages come out fine
in an xterm, and they've come out fine on the console of other distros.

Anybody have any ideas? The word "termcap" is going through my brain
(although not doing much else).